Fancy Schmantzy Fancy Schmantzy Fancy Schmantzy Fancy Schmantzy Fancy Schmantzy Fancy Schmantzy

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Muffins!


Oh, yes I did!  My fave flavor combo, chocolate & orange, plus some extra dark chocolate chips, made these muffins the most irresistible breakfast/dessert ever! 

Here is the recipe, adapted from the bite sized baker:

½ cup butter, room temperature
2/3 cup Dutch-processed unsweetened dark cocoa powder
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 eggs
¾ cup milk
¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
Zest of 2 oranges
1/3 cup sour cream (not non-fat) or yogurt (I used yogurt)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ cups dark chocolate chips
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 12 cup muffin pan.
  2. In a large mixing bowl beat together butter, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, salt and vanilla until fluffy. Beat in eggs, then stir in milk, orange juice, orange zest, and sour cream. Mix in flour, then chocolate chips.
  3. Divide batter equally between the muffin cups, they will be full. Sprinkle each muffin with a little coarse sugar if desired.
  4. Bake for 28-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out without crumbs on it – chocolate is ok. Remove from oven, cool on wire racks 10 minutes, remove from pan to wire racks and cool completely.

*PS, I didn't use muffin cups...A. because I don't have any, and B. I hate peeling the paper off to eat my muffins anyways!

When buying the ingredients for this, splurge on the dark chocolate chips and cocoa powder...my friend Nate used to always get the good stuff, and it really makes a difference!  Thanks Nate!

Also, I've seen many recipes that call for a tablespoon or two of orange liqueur, such as triple sec.  I don't keep any in our house, but I am sure you could toss some in for an extra orangey-punch. 

Happy baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment